We're Hiring! NYGuild is Looking for a Communications Associate
The NewsGuild of New York, a dynamic, member-led union, seeks a Communications Associate with journalism or public relations experience, a background in organizing, and demonstrated experience within the labor movement. Candidates should be skilled communicators, capable of utilizing a range of tools to conceive and execute union-wide strategic messaging while at the same time advancing specific Guild campaigns with comprehensive internal and external communication strategies.The ideal candidate has experience developing and implementing strategic communications plans. You must be comfortable working in a highly collaborative team-based environment. The position will report to The NewsGuild of New York president, and work closely with our organizing director and campaign staff. You must be available to work evenings and weekends as campaigns require.
- Develop and direct external union communications, including addressing industry developments in journalism, media and labor;
- Create original content for a wide variety of communications platforms including, but not limited to, email, web, video, social, brochure and newsletter formats;
- Use multiple communications and social media platforms to, and develop targeted communications for, use in mobilizing, organizing and contract campaigns;
- Work closely with union members to document campaigns and develop communications responsive to developments in the news business and journalism community;
- Initiate contact with and respond to inquiries from print, radio, and television journalists;
- Write campaign advisories and press releases;
- Draft and distribute internal member communications;
- Support campaign-related member events.
- Strong writing and oral communication skills, including crafting messaging and campaign materials;
- Ability to initiate projects, work independently, handle multiple priority projects and meet deadlines.
- Experience in strategic communications planning;
- Two years of experience in communications in labor, politics or advocacy organizations;
This is a union-represented position, covered by the Local Representatives Guild. The contractual salary minimum for this position is $87,569.56. To apply, email firstname.lastname@example.org with the following:
- A letter of application highlighting your experience and qualifications
- Résumé including three references
- An example of a communications plan or campaign that you have run.
- Other writing sample(s).
The NewsGuild of New York is committed to diversity and encourages members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including people of color, LGBTQ+ people, non-binary people, people from various socioeconomic backgrounds, and people with disabilities.
Share this story